Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The "tea" with Author Rikenya Hunter

Author's Spotlight
 
Meet Rikenya Hunter! She is currently signed with Ambiance Books and is the author of "Hustle Hard." I had the honor of chatting it up with her. Read the interview below and make sure you one-click her new book!
Rikenya Hunter, born in Louisville Kentucky, writes from a young adult’s point of view. Rikenya has always had a passion for writing and storytelling and has been keeping a journal of her own life since the age of eight. She has a unique way of seeing life from her character's eyes, leading you along the path as a participant instead of as an observer. Rikenya currently resides in Jacksonville Florida, with her high-school sweetheart and their two daughters. She's currently working on new material and working towards earning her Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration.
1. Could you tell us a little about yourself? I’m twenty-six years old, a Libra. I’m very creative, silly and sweet with a huge heart. I’m always laughing. I’m a mom to two daughters, ages four and three. I’m newly engaged to my high-school sweetheart of eight years. 

2. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book? What inspired you? When I was little, my siblings and I would create false news stories and record them as if we were news anchors. Around eighth grade, I started keeping a journal up until I turned twenty-one. A few years later, I just thought I would write a book in my spare time since it had always been a hobby. Now I’m signed and published! 

3. Do you have a specific writing style? Do you work with an outline, or just write? I honestly don’t have a specific writing style. I just write. I get an idea, freestyle and weave it altogether. 

4. How did you come up with the title for this novel? I started writing this novel and would always throw the words “Hustle Hard” throughout the story so I felt it would fit the title perfectly. 

5. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? The message I want readers to grasp in Hustle Hard is that everybody you see in life is going through something. Never let your problems get in the way of your goals. Hustle Hard to achieve your aspirations and dreams. J 

6. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? In this particular book, it’s all fiction. In some of my other novels, they’re based off some true events of my personal life, but as for Hustle Hard, it’s all fiction. 

7. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? Niyah Moore is my mentor! She’s been amazing and I admire her so much. She actually wants to see you succeed, learn and grow. I’m grateful to be a part of her team. 

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? I wouldn’t say I have a favorite author, I like many different authors. There’s way too many to name!  

9. Who designed the book cover for this novel? Brittani Williams. She’s dope! 

10. What was the hardest part of writing your novel? This novel actually came pretty easy. 

11. Do you have a day job or are you a full time author? I’m in school full-time. I attend classes online. I’m aiming towards my bachelors in Business Administration. I’m a full-time stay-at-home mother too. I wear many hats. J 

12. What book(s) are you reading now? Between writing right now, I’ve downloaded many books, but I haven’t had enough time to actually sit down and read them. The last book I had read was by Joy Jackson called Rise of a Coke Queen. Cop that! It’s a page turner. 

13. How did you choose the genre you write in and would you write outside your genre? Growing up in high school, all I read was Urban Fiction. When I received my first Kindle, I read nothing, but Urban Fiction. I absolutely love the genre.  Maybe in the future I could explore other genres, but for right now, I’m sticking to Urban Fiction. J 

14. Do you ever experience writer’s block? Oh my goodness, I do. It’s the worse! When I experience writer’s block, I generally take a few days off from writing to clear my head and that seems to work for me. 

15. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult? I loved Niyah Moore and Lashonda De’Vaughn. When I purchased my first Kindle, they were the first authors I read. 

16. If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change? I wouldn’t change anything. I’m grateful. 

17. How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre? I use social media to market my work. Everyone seems to have a social media account. It seems when you share something online, it goes viral quickly. Technology is great for networking. 

18. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published? I’m currently working on two books that aren’t published yet. They’re coming real soon though! 

19. What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? My favorite chapter would be the last chapter of the book. Koko went through a lot, but she didn’t let that discourage her. 

20. What project are you working on now? Any scheduled upcoming releases? I’m working on a standalone book now. It’s almost completed, but the title is still being worked out. I’m also working on collaboration with another talented author. It’s hot! 

21. Can you tell us about your upcoming releases? I have three books that have already been sent off to the editor. I’m working on a standalone book and collaboration with another talented author. I can’t wait to share it with the world! 

22. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment? Hmm, I haven’t received tough criticism. I genuinely received a lot of support and love. My biggest compliment I’ve received is readers thanking me for giving them standalone novels. I’m grateful for all feedback, negative or positive. It helps me grow. 

23. Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers? My advice to aspiring writers would be to take your time and never give up! Writing a book takes patience. Don’t rush it! 

24. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans? I deeply thank all my fans and readers for all the love and support. I truly appreciate it! Look out for some new material coming soon! God bless.

Contact Rikenya
Rikenya's Books
Publication Date: January 26, 2015
Publisher: Ambience Books
Publication Date: January 5, 2015
Publication Date: January 3, 2014
Publisher: Rikenya Renee Publications
Publication Date: December 17, 2013
Publisher: Rikenya Renee Publications
Publication Date: December 17, 2013
Publisher: Rikenya Renee Publications


No comments:

Post a Comment