Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Featured Author Of The Week | Krystal Armstead

Who is Krystal Armstead?

Krystal Jennel Armstead is an author who has written the national best-selling series “It’s Wrong for Me to Love You” and "All the Things Money Can't Buy". Having been a child of an Air Force Master Sergeant, she traveled the world and as a coping mechanism for leaving friends behind, she began to write, creating her own friends. She studied at Morgan State University, and later transferred to East Carolina University where she graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems. She followed in her father’s footsteps of joining the military—she joined the Marines and later enlisted in the Air Force.

What do you want people to gain from your book?
I want people to understand the pain that young teenagers who are abused go through. When I write, I like to try to “build” characters that the readers can relate to. My books are emotional, and they bring a lot of emotion out of the readers. I try to write books that people can relate to. My characters are familiar—you know someone like all of these characters! There is fact to all fiction, and I want people to gain the truth about life and it’s struggles from this book.

What inspired you to become an author?
I have always wanted to write and tell my story. I have been through so much and writing has always been my way to channel my pain. I wanted to share my deepest thoughts, hopes, dreams, fears, and emotions with someone.  I have never been much of a talker. Writing helps me express myself without any interruptions. When I write, I can create my own world, create my own dream man, create myself.

What do you want everyone to know about you as a writer?
My writing develops over time. I write a lot different now than when I wrote this book. All of my books are different. My book isn’t for everyone. If you’re looking for that thug-type, shoot-up-the-block, lock-you-in-the-truck type street literature, my writing isn’t for you! I’m more of a contemporary urban writer. I try to relate to my readers. I try to make characters that feel like people you know. Characters that get you emotional. And just when you think you figured out the ending, I switch it up in ya!

What motivates this type of writing?
In the urban community, there is not enough romance, reality, or variety. I’m not your typical urban writer. If you want the hood, shoot-em-up, dope boy books, that’s not me. I write what I know, and I fantasize about the things that I may want to do but don’t have the courage. My second series is about a stripper! I’ve never been one nor will I ever be one, but reading my novel, you’d think that I was one! I write the way I do because I want to express my thoughts and connect with a broader audience. Everyone can’t relate to the hood, but everyone can relate to being heartbroken.

When did you develop a passion for writing?
I have wanted to be a writer since the day that I first picked up a pencil. I have been writing stories since kindergarten. I just sit down, and think, “Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if…” and then I start writing. I write my innermost thoughts. My characters have always spoken to me. I pick a topic, and I go from there. My imagination never stops.

 Targeted Message
"Do you know how it feels to love someone who has a hard time loving you back? A lot of people put material things over the things that are really important, such as; love, dedication, commitment & understanding! What does one has to go through in order to find someone who loves them for who they really are, regardless of their past? Whether it be rape, abortions, molestation, neglect, rejection, etc. ...everyone struggles to deal with their skeletons & past decisions!"


Nina Monet Cambridge is a successful city girl living in country town. She runs and owns a tattoo shop with her cousin, Kourtney. Kourtney is tired of seeing her cousin down and out. She convinces her cousin to get back into the dating scene again, forcing Nina to confront her hurtful past.

Nina grew up on a naval base in San Diego, California. When Nina was fourteen, she met and fell for an older musician by the name of Ricque Cole. What started off as tutoring to get him caught up on his schoolwork turned into a beautiful relationship, but more than that, the two became best friends. They confided in one another and depended on each other to get through the tough times. Nina struggled with the feelings of neglect that her mother placed upon her; Ricque struggled with the life that his parents left him to deal with.

Circumstances pull the young couple from one another, forcing Nina to keep a secret that should have never been kept. Heartbreaking decisions were made, and Nina’s conscience begins to weigh down on her. After a tragic event, Nina’s aunt invites her to come live with her in Goldsboro, North Carolina.

After almost sixteen years of living with guilt and anguish, Nina meets a handsome club owner by the name of Santiago Dominguez. Feelings start to flourish, and Nina can’t seem to shake the fact that the new man in her life has similarities to the old one. Just when Nina decides that it’s time to move on, her past confronts her with open arms.

Except

“What the fuck do you mean I can’t go back there with her?” Kourtney cursed at the receptionist at the front desk. “It’s bad enough that her got-damn evil-ass mama is making her do this shit, but y’all are gonna make her go through it alone? This is bullshit!” Kourtney screamed, tears saturating her cheeks.
I sighed, grabbing Kourtney away from the nurse’s station. I grabbed her by her shoulders before her crazy ass got herself arrested. She was ready to pull that girl’s micro braids out. “Kourtney! Boo, I’ll be okay, alright?” I assured her, though I wasn’t so sure myself.
Kourtney wouldn’t stop crying. She was supposed to be my strength that day, but she was breaking down faster than I was. “No you won’t be, cuz. You’ll never be okay! I should know because I’ve had one of these,” she admitted.
“Kourtney, what?” I was stunned. “When?”
She nodded, trying to stop crying. “Last year. I didn’t tell anyone. Today would have been my baby’s birthday.” No wonder she was crying so much.
I just stood there, looking at her, watching the tears slide down her face.
“When you go in there, don’t look at the screen. Don’t listen to the baby’s heartbeat. I’m telling you, Nina—I’m warning you,” Kourtney cried.
“Nina Cambridge?” A nurse stood in the doorway, waiting on me.
I looked at Kourtney as she grabbed me close, holding me tightly. Her heart was beating just as hard and fast as mine.
“I’ll see you in recovery, Nina,” she whispered, crying on my shoulder.
I exhaled deeply, letting her go, walking towards the nurse in the doorway.
The nurse led me down what felt like the longest hallway ever. When I got to the room, it took everything in me not to run in the opposite direction.
I tried my best not look at the machine or the tools they used to perform the abortion. I turned around and faced the nurse, who was friendly yet still emotionless.
“Sweetie, are you sure you want to go through with this? Despite what your parents may tell you, you do not have to go through with this if you don’t want to. The doctor will ask you the same question when she comes in. That will be your last chance to change your mind. So I’ll ask you again - are you sure you want to go through with this procedure, Miss Cambridge?” The nurse looked at the tears swelling up in my eyes.
I looked at her, not sure what else to say except, “Would you do this? Could you do this?” Tears trickled down my face.
The nurse stuttered, not sure what to say except, “I’ll give you a few minutes to think about it, sweetie. When or if you decide to do this, the gown is right there on the bed. I’ll be back in fifteen minutes with the doctor and the anesthesiologist, honey.” And she left me standing there in the room alone.

Publication Date: September 2, 2015
Publisher: Racquel Williams Presents
Print Length: 140 pages
ASIN: B014VK1MMO
Genre: Urban Life, African American Urban Fiction, Contemporary Fiction
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: 2,454 Paid in Kindle Store
Kindle Unlimited Eligible: Yes
Paperback/Hardcover Availability: Not at this time

Connect with Krystal




No comments:

Post a Comment