Friday, January 22, 2016

Author Spotlight | Breanna De'Shay


About Author Breanna

Breanna De’Shay is a twenty-five year old Louisiana native who loves reading, writing and anything creative. Her favorite thing about a good book is one with a surprise twist. So as an author that's her goal - to hit you with a twist you never imagined was coming. Love stories are a favorite but Breanna De'Shay loves a good read where the villain wins as well. She really love connecting with people so if there's anything different you would like to read about just let her know! Breanna’s currently writing urban fiction, but she has a goal of writing horror in the near future.

The Interview


VIP: Hi Author Breanna, glad to have you here tonight! Tell us a little about yourself? Do you have kids, are you in school, how old are you, etc.?

Breanna: Heyyy! I'm 25 and I have a two year old son. I'm in school for Business. Let's see, I have a boyfriend his name is MJ. I'm from Louisiana and I'm a part of Mercy B Presents.

VIP: How many books have you pen and what are their titles?

Breanna: I have two that are published. A standalone titled, ‘For The Love Of A Hoodlum’ and Part 1 of a series titled, ‘Love On the Run.’

VIP: Can you tell us what ‘For The Love Of A Hoodlum’ is about without giving away the story?

Breanna: It's about a young man by the name of Tyran. He makes his way through life on the wrong side of the road but after a few scares in his life he finds himself second guessing his lifestyle dealing with how he makes his money and his friends and family.


For The Love Of A Hoodlum

VIP: Are experiences in “For The Love Of A Hoodlum” based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Breanna: It's actually based on my boyfriend. When we first met he told me some of the things he did and literally two days later I got the plot for ‘For the love of A Hoodlum.’ He's definitely my muse and he's the ‘real life’ Basim. He tripped out when he saw his name in the book, lol.

VIP: Can you tell us what “Love On The Run” is about without giving away the story?

Breanna: ‘Love On The Run’ is about a couple by the name of Leaux and Cortez. Leaux is the beauty who believes the love she has with Cortez can stand the test of time while Cortez is just grateful to still have Leaux by his side despite his past mistakes. Self doubt causes some issues to arise and their both left truly showing if their love is as deep as they claim it to be.


Love On The Run

VIP: How did you choose the genre(s) you write in and would you write outside your genre, which ones?

Breanna: I've always been an urban fiction fan but I'm a fan of reading regardless. Besides urban fiction I want to definitely try out horror maybe a little romance but horror definitely.

VIP: What sets you apart from other authors? How are you & your work different?

Breanna: My writing style sets me different and the way my mind thinks. I'm not the average person so I don't make my characters average but I also don't want them too extreme. I hate reading novels and I'm like "that can't happen in real life." I'm regular while still exciting.

Plus, I love twists. All my books will have some kind of twist and unlike other authors I love for the villain to sometimes win. So, sometimes my favorite character will be the one everyone loves to hate.

VIP: Being that you're going to school for business & have a 2yr old son, how do you keep and maintain balance with all that you do and being an author?

Breanna: I just got back into school and it's online so I try to do my work when he's sleeping and I write mostly while I'm at work and over the weekends. It's kind of hard but pressure makes diamonds so I don't worry. It'll pay off.

VIP: What project(s) are you working on now? Any scheduled upcoming releases?

Breanna: ‘Love On The Run 2’ is set to be released next Wednesday (1/24) and Part 1 of a new series (that is a surprise) is set to release on Valentine's Day.

VIP: Where do you see your career as an author in the next five (5) years?

Breanna: In the next five years I plan on being a household name, for fiction & also nonfiction. It's a few nonfiction books I want to write towards young women and girls. A few tales of my own I would like to write to let women know that they aren't alone in the things they go through. I definitely want to touch lives with fiction and nonfiction work.

VIP: Do you listen to music or do you prefer peace & quiet when you are writing? Any specific snacks you like to munch on?

Breanna: Peace and quiet. I wish I could be one of those authors who listen to music but I can't, lol. I have to hear the characters.

I eat mostly gummy candy if I have it, lol, but I'm getting summertime fine so I can visit my babe so I gotta cut that out.

VIP: Which author(s) would you like to write a collaboration with?

Breanna: Hmmmm, that is a tough one. Honestly I don't know. I'm still getting set in my own writing ways and perfecting my craft and what makes my writing say "Breanna De'Shay" without someone reading my name on the cover. So for now I will say no one but down the line who knows.

VIP: Who are your favorite author(s) and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Breanna: Nisa Santiago is one of my all time favorites! I love everything she puts her pen to. She is realistic and makes everything so visual. I also love Kim K she is a great author! Of course I love the authors of Mercy B Presents, we have so much talent! Tiece is really good and Natalie Sade is great. I try to check out everyone's releases.

VIP: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor &/or inspired you to become a writer? Who do you look up to in the publishing industry?

Breanna: Definitely Mercy B! I remember finding her by accident when she was with Jaded Publications and I read every book she put out. It was just crazy watching Mercy blow up like she did.

As far as who inspired me to write, definitely Nisa Santiago, Nikki Turner, Teri Woods, Kiki Swinson. I've been reading way before the Kindle, lol, so whenever I needed to escape I would grab their books and let me mind travel. I just want to give a reader the same feeling they've given me over the years.

VIP: What’s your favorite motivational/inspirational quote?

Breanna: Definitely this one! It's really kind of hard as a new author seeing so many other authors get way more shine than you and those days of watching your books on the chart are nerve wrecking so as I'm writing book four I constantly have to tell myself "Pray. Grind. And be patient." Because I know my time is coming and it's going to catch me by surprise once it does!

VIP: What are you currently reading? Do you read when you're writing your own book or do you wait until you've finished your book to read?

Breanna: I'm currently not reading anything but Author AC Taylor has a new book dropping tomorrow so that's next on my list!

I generally don't read while I write unless it's totally opposite of my subject and I know it is so I'm going to read hers. I learned the hard way about reading while writing, lol: JUST DON'T. It creates a lot of unnecessary doubt in yourself.
   
    -VIP Reply: That's totally understandable! I personally don't think Authors need to read while they are writing their own. I believe it would be confusing, plus what you said: gives you self doubt!

    -Breanna Reply: It's really confusing. The last thing you want to do is use someone else's ideas. Anytime an author says something about reading while writing, I'm like noooo! Especially a new one. Just no. Save yourself the self doubt. Read after yours is sent off:

VIP: Do you have any upcoming scheduled events; such as book signings, Interviews, etc.?

Breanna: As of now no. Most likely after ‘Love On The Run 2’ drops I'll have a giveaway in the Mercy B Presents author group and for my February release I plan on having a really cute giveaway.

I'm always networking and looking for ways to get myself noticed so who knows!

VIP: What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Breanna: Criticism? Honestly I haven't received much. Mercy will say little tweaks but I know it's out of love.

The best compliment is definitely someone finding me on Facebook and writing on my wall saying how they loved the book. Even just one or two people.

VIP: Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?

Breanna: Don't jump at the first publisher. Most popular doesn't always mean best (no shade to anyone because I honestly don't know anything about other publishers nor do I care) but find someone who loves the craft like you do! Don't get discouraged. You could blow up over night or it could take a few books.

Also, don't be around to ask other authors questions. Build relationships with them. I love the Mercy B authors and our group because it's always fun and just upbeat. It's never just about writing only.

And of course BE PATIENT! Believe in yourself. You're your first number one fan so cheer the loudest.

VIP: Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

Breanna: Heyyyy readers! Be on the lookout for ‘Love On The Run 2!’ I hope you enjoy it. Thank you so much for the support.

VIP: It was a pleasure to have you here Breanna! I really appreciate the love & support! Best wishes & much love & success! VIP Supports You!

Breanna: Thank you so much!

Connected With Author Breanna

Instagram
Facebook Author Page
Amazon Profile Page

No comments:

Post a Comment